Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Thanks Teacher - One Sketch Two Cards

Thanks Teacher
Teacher's Day is coming soon and this year, I have to put extra efforts in making Teacher's Day cards as my son has started schooling (kindergarten) this year. Thus, more teachers to thanks and appreciate.

Retrosketches #163
Due to the reason above, I have come up with an idea which is using a sketch at least two (2) ways to make two (2) cards using the same materials or techniques. By this, I hope I can make more cards in lesser time. With that idea in mind, I come across Retrosketches #163 (as shown above) which is perfect to materialize my idea! One of the card will follow the original sketch (as shown above) while another card, it will be rotated clockwise 180 degree.

Close-up: The watercolor background created using stencil, distress ink and water technique 
I would like to play along this week Lawnscaping Challenge 105 - Watercolors as well. I also itching to play with my only stencil that bought some time ago. Thus, I try Jennifer McGuire's stencil, distress ink and water technique for my card background. It turned out that the stencil patterns are not really vibrant maybe due to the distress ink colors that I choose or I am not mastering the technique enough yet. However, I do like the soft patterns as it feels mysterious.

Next, while waiting the watercolor paper to dry up, two (2) fishtail banners are die cut and stamped with 'Thanks' sentiment. The 'teacher' wording is die cut few times using different color card stocks. The die cut 'teacher' wordings are later stacked up against contrast colors off alignment a bit. The wordings are later attached onto the fishtail banners.
Close-up: Sentiment
Some twines are secured using brad into the fishtail banners' hole to create shatter lookalike. The watercolor paper is trimmed according to size and attached onto the card base as in sketch, both original and rotated. Then, the fishtail sentiment banner is attached onto the card using foam tape as in sketch, both original and rotated.

There they are, two (2) gorgeous cards using one sketch! *proud look* The idea is working and I hope to utilize this idea more. *wink*

Dimension : 11.43cm x 8.89cm or 4.5" x 3.5"
Type : Vertical fold (orange card) and horizontal fold (blue card)
Inlay : No

This card is entering the challenge(s) organized by :
1) Retrosketches #163 (ends by 08 May 2015)
3) Lawnscaping Challenge 105 - Watercolors (ends by 13 May 2015)

Stamps and tools used:

2 comments:

Samantha Casey said...

Very pretty card! I love the bright colors! Thanks for playing the Lawnscaping Challenge!
-Samantha

Tamara said...

Love both cards!!
Thanks for playing with us at Lawnscaping 
Hope to see you again next challenge
Xx Tamara